View Single Post
Old 07-26-2009, 07:19 AM   #28
glitch44
glitch44 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: no reader yet
I'm guessing Amazon would rather keep kindles whispernet-only so they can control the flow of data, but I work in film and most scripts are PDFs that get pretty large (3-4MB) because they're scanned copies.

So for me, having a way to quickly sync with sugarsync/ dropbox would be great. Whispernet, of course is the problem. It's silly and inefficient to force them back through the Amazon servers and out to T-mobile (with their rather high bandwith rates) when they're sitting on my laptop 10 feet away. That's why I hope a future kindle version has both PDF support and wifi (with a switch to save power). It could offer up so many ways to sync up great personal documents with dropbox/ sugarsync/ evernote.

This recent email from dropbox even promises a network aware version to quickly push a sync.

Quote:
"Performance Improvements and LAN Sync
In addition to the iPhone app, we're also finishing up a new version of the Dropbox desktop software that features numerous performance improvements and our new "LAN sync" feature. LAN sync knows when Dropboxes are on the same network and will automatically exchange files directly between computers instead of downloading them from our servers - this makes sharing large files in an office environment much faster than was previously possible."
So close...
glitch44 is offline   Reply With Quote