Thread: Dan Brown
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2014, 11:15 AM   #37
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
...If you are trying to say something TO SOMEONE then it does not diminish your art to seek out who that someone might be, or to give (some) consideration to making your art communicate most effectively. That's finding an audience....That's not to say an artist should stop MAKING ART even if they have not found an audience. Follow your vision, as DS said above, by all means!...
That's exactly what I've meant.
There is no pre-defined audience. There is no homogenous audience.
There are dozens and hundreds of target groups.
An artist doesn't have to butcher his vision, to apply to a specific target group.
But he should find his target group(s) to be heard or seen.

This kind of reminds me of one of my former employers.
Hardware manufacturer. Famous for their quality products.
But at some stage, they forgot about the market.
They didn't analyze the needs, but simply gave the lead to the developers.
The products had been great. And there had been almost no competition.
But there hasn't been any demand = market either.
Internally, we said: "We design world class products and then tell customers, they have to adjust their demands, so their needs fit to our product. Some competitors on the other hand did listen to existing customer needs and sell like hell"...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote