View Single Post
Old 05-26-2013, 12:38 AM   #14
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post

As for the other major concern about privacy, Kobo is a Canadian company. So as you said, people have collections of documents. Legally obtained. All theirs. Now copy those documents or just the information about them to a third party server without informed consent. Enjoy the privacy lawsuit as you have just violated the PIPEDA provisions on collecting, using and disclosing personal information in the course of commercial activities.

Even if you did give explicit consent, Kobo would still be obligated to make any information collected available to the consumer for viewing and correction and guarantee that none of the information would be accessed by a third party.

See the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act for more information on the legalities. For a small fee, the Queen's Printer will supply you with your very own copy or

For more information:

The Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada
112 Kent Street, Ottawa, ON K1A 1H3
www.priv.gc.ca

Regards,
David
I had thought that Kobo might be interested in finding a way to keep within PIPEDA whilst making it possible to sync sideloaded material, but with the revamping of PIPEDA currently underway, and the very good chance that the commercial protections will be different/stronger than they are now, I don't really expect to see that any time soon.

It was brought home to me how different Canadian and US privacy laws/expectations were when I was told that our local library didn't have a record of what books people borrow, other than those that have been checked out and have not yet been returned. So different than the US discussions about whether a warrant was needed to examine borrowing history a few years back.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote