View Single Post
Old 04-26-2013, 11:37 PM   #552
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by library addict View Post
I guess I just think that most authors are grownups. They realize not every book they write will work for every reader and that a review is about their book not them personally. So they expect negative reviews along with the positive and don't take it persoanlly. The expectation that an ARC review must be positive is just pressure you are putting on yourself for the most part. Sure the author hopes you like their book, but the professional ones won't be hurt if you do not. (I say professional because I know there have been some author kerfuffles online about reviews and reviewers).

There are plenty of authors that I consider favorites and auto-buys where I don't like each and every book of theirs. In fact I can't think of a single author on my keeper shelf where I love every book of theirs.

There are lots of books I love that get negative reviews. That's why it helps to get to a know a reviewer's taste. In some cases when they give a book a bad review I know it may be one I'll love. I read reviews more for new-to-me authors and to see if the book in question contains story elements which just don't appeal to me. The content of the review matters more than the number of stars/grade. A 5-star "This is the best book ever" review is just as unhelpful as a 1-star "this is the worst book ever, don't waste your money" one. Reviews need the WHY.
There was author on Facebook complaining about negative review the other day. I have seen even some well known authors link to negative reviews on Facebook. Obviously because they need someone to pat their back and tell them their book is fabulous I totally agree on some reviews not being very helpful.

I thought for a minute... an Author whose books I have read and I loved everyone... Oh I know! Christie Craig! I love her books. So funny and all the heroes are cops or former cops turn P.I. I am a big fan.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote