View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 10:55 PM   #1780
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Geoff I notice the same pricing schedule with the AUD prices - usually same as USD, although our dollar has been worth more than the USD for several years now (in the main).

However, on the odd occasion I find the AUD price is a bit lower.

Still, at least with Kobo I'm paying in AUD and there's no conversion rate when I'm using an AUD address. That in itself is a saving.

However, I still get charged by my government an overseas purchase tax - which I assume means that the transaction is taking place in Canada.
Some books are at the fixed price point in $NZ, but others seem to be fixed in another currency (probably $US) and so they change by a few cents every now and then as the exchange rate fluctuates. It could be just a coincidence that many of the books I have been buying or wanting to buy are at a fixed price point.

NZ doesn't have any sort of overseas purchase tax any more, in fact the opposite, it taxes local transactions but not overseas ones if they are under $400, so there is a natural incentive to buy from overseas retailers. With physical goods that is moderated by the cost of postage and the problem of getting a replacement if the goods are faulty, but e-books don't have those limitations.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote