View Single Post
Old 01-23-2012, 12:50 PM   #8
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
For books we publish in both print and ebook formats, we use ID4 as the repository for the manuscript as corrected, so that there will be only one place to apply corrections. That means the final ebook versions are derived from an ID4 epub export.

Said export needs lots of work before it becomes a decent epub, however. Isn't it ironic that InDesign produces an epub that Adobe Digital Editions can't read? Don't the two development groups talk to each other, even in house?

Most of what we publish is fiction, with few illustrations. I usually export the book as a single xhtml file (i.e. no chapter breaks) and then edit the file in Bluefish (html editor), tweak chapter headers, insert chapter breaks for sigil, etc.

Then I import that epub into sigil for final tweaks. Conversion to mobi and other formats is done using appropriate conversion software.

If we're publishing ebook only, we typically use rtf -> LibreOffice -> w2e or w2x extensions, then finish with sigil.

IIRC, ID3 was the first to have attempted epub export, and it was completely unusable. ID4 is at least tolerable, but from what I hear truly viable epub exports, usable out of the box, did not arrive until IDCS5.5.

So far we have resisted the urge to upgrade. YMMV, IMHO, etc. etc.
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote