View Single Post
Old 03-25-2017, 01:46 PM   #27
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I understand that reaction; for me it's exactly my thing, or one of my things. That mildly absurd English humor that relies so much on understatement and indirection, generally silly and occasionally uproarious, is like crack to me. Which I'm mentioning because I'd love to hear others' favorites in that genre!
Yes, this book seemed like an exemplar of that.

I was very impressed by the quality of the prose in places. I thought that the closing sentence was brilliant as a summary of the flavour of the book, and of the situation of the characters.

"As Lucia played to them, she drew a lozenge out of the box and put it into her mouth, in order to begin growing at once. It tasted rather bitter, but not unpleasantly so."
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote