View Single Post
Old 01-23-2022, 10:44 AM   #45
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
A spellchecker dictionary is very different from a regular dictionary. Its role is to help catch common spelling errors, not to define a language or a word. Therefore keeping obsolete or very rarely used words in a spellchecker dictionary is just not appropriate given they help hide spelling errors on more commonly used words.

I will remove both Scotchman, and Scotchwoman and their variants but leave scotchman in the final release. If people have a historical text that uses those words that they do not want to update to their modern equivalents, they can easily ignore those words or simply add them to their User dictionary.

This is the same reason a spellchecker dictionary should not be based on scowl size 80 or larger (and many say 70 or larger).

Unfortunately, vetting the scowl word lists really requires a team of dedicated people not just one or two.

Thanks,

KevinH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashjuk View Post
Given that scotchman has meanings other than that of referring to a male of Scots origin perhaps it would be better to leave that in the dictionary. I doubt it will be encountered much, if at all, so I don't think it's going to be an issue.

As for Scotchmen/Scotchwoman/Scotchwomen. Personally I think they could be removed.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote