Thread: Kindle vs Kobo
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2018, 10:37 PM   #9
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by applesauce View Post
I plan to strip the DRM from my Amazon books and load them into Calibre.
Great decision. It means you will no longer be "locked-in" to any one "ecosystem". It also gives you some measure of protection from what may happen with any one vendor. At least the books you have bought are on your own hardware unencumbered. Like Zod I regard working with Calibre and Apprentice Alf as not only trivial but necessary. However, there are many people who are very happy being locked-in to one Vendor and don't want to do anything more than one-click at Amazon and open their ereader.

One practical tip. Most books delivered to the Voyage by Amazon are now in kfx format. Calibre only works well with KF8 files, which usually have .azw3 file extensions. The easiest way to get a kf8 format in your circumstances is to go to content and devices on Amazon and download the book concerned for transfer via usb. Of course, many if not all of the ebooks you have may well be kf8. Just look for the .azw3 extension.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote