Thread: Kindle vs Kobo
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2018, 05:49 AM   #5
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Don't be so quick to make up your mind. You cannot download ebooks purchased at Amazon directly to your Kobo. As to your existing Kindle ebooks, virtually all of them are likely to have DRM. To read them you will need to remove the DRM and convert them to epub or kepub format, then download them, usually by usb cable, to your Kobo. All of this can be done in Calibre. If you have installed Apprentice Alf's plugins in Calibre then DRM has been automatically removed. If not you will need to do so and then re-import your book files. Similar for ebooks you buy in the future from Amazon.

Also, in my experience Amazon is usually cheaper for ebooks than Kobo and the Amazon store and ecosystem is clearly superior. Having said that I also own an H2O and it is a wonderful reader. But I rarely buy an ebook from Kobo. I also find myself reading more and more on my Oasis.

I'm not trying to discourage you from buying Kobo. But you should be aware of the downside when you already have a significant investment in the Amazon infrastructure.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote