View Single Post
Old 12-25-2014, 07:14 PM   #199
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
But what will you do if you install XP and find you are no longer allowed to activate it? I've seen plenty of working hardware made obsolete just because the software to run it is no longer made. So if XP cannot be activated, you'll be wishing all that money on old hardware was used to buy something more current.

Not all new computers are going to crap out in a short time period. A lot of the problems are user error or user choice. Some like to overclock and that can cause a shortened lifespan. They buy a case too small and the cables are all over the place and in the way. There are ways of keeping today's hardware going.

I have a computer that's been going for a bunch of years with no problem. It's not the latest and greatest, but the processor will run whatever I need to run. So I can run Qt5 and that means I can run the latest Calibre and Sigil. I can run Windows 8.1 if I want and so on.

Older laptops do die a lot due to overheating. Newer laptops do not get nearly as hot. So really, It's not a case of new is crap and old is better. It doesn't matter how reliable old is if it's too obsolete to run the software you want. The way I look at it, if you cannot run Qt5, it's junk. Junk being something that isn't up to the job.