View Single Post
Old 09-19-2011, 07:30 AM   #139
ryran
Connoisseur
ryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with others

Device: Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardx View Post
Sorry to exhume a relatively old thread for my first post but... :-)

I've been trying to run kindlesec.sh on my K3 3.2.1 without success. The error message that appears is:
Richard, my first thought is that you might be running it without doing a mntroot rw first. My second thought is that DAMN people should not be running these scripts if they don't know how to debug them and fix things that they might break. I had a look at the script from this thread, which is what I presume you're talking about... and I don't see anything technically wrong with the syntax.

Assuming you've got write access to the root fs, it should create a new dir on the user partition called .kindlesec (which would show up if you plugged it into windows with usb networking off) and makes backups of the four files to there and then proceeds to replace each of them with shortcuts (links) to nowhere (/dev/null), but not before making additional backups of them in their respective folders (the 2nd backups will have the same file name with a tilde "~" appended). Should work. As for if it's a good idea, well........