View Single Post
Old 06-07-2010, 07:17 PM   #7
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
There is a lot of great fantasy fiction out there, so a list of recommendations could easily run over several pages. However, if I have to pick a single author whose last name isn't Tolkien, it will have to be Guy Gavriel Kay. I've been devouring fantasy books (amongst other genres) ever since I discovered Lord of the Rings at the age of 13, now seemingly a very, very long time ago, and for me G. G. Kay stands out due to his ability to make me feel for his characters. It also doesn't hurt that he's excellent at creating original stories and backdrops, in a genre which can often suffer from a lack of originality.

If you decide to check him out, his best books are, in my opinion and in no particular order of preference, these:

Tigana
The Lions of Al-Rassan
The Fionavar Tapestry (trilogy)

Staying with authors with a flair for originality, I also highly recommend Robert Holdstock's "Mythago Wood Cycle". This is contemporary fantasy rather than classic swords & sorcery, but ought to suit any lover of fantasy. The cycle contains 9 books in all, but start with the original, Mythago Wood, if you're interested. It's entirely self-contained and you'll find out if it's something for you.

Finally, if you really want to get stuck into something big, I'd recommend Steven Erikson's "Malazan Books of the Fallen" series, currently containing 9 books. This is gritty, no-holds-barred war and magic in an extremely well realised and original world. The books are somewhat uneven, ranging in quality from fantastic to just merely good, but if it turns out to be your kind of thing it's a hell of a ride.

Best of luck!

- Bel
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote