Thread: Outlines?
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 10:34 PM   #25
djulian
Evangelist
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Funny how different people see it different ways. I tend to agree with the Hemingway quote. For me writing from no outline was surprising, what characters would actually end up doing in a given context was not obvious to me from the outside. Whereas most ideas I've had when trying to outline tend to look trite and predictable when I look at them later.
For me as well. I wrote one story from an outline, and it feels stale to everyone. Comments were roughly: "Very good prose, but the story doesn't quite punch me in the gut."

I then wrote several stories from no outlines, and I got, "Still good prose, and the story haunts me a little more than the first one."

Then I wrote one from a super vague outline (three scenes that had formed in my head) and I got, "Good, good, good, needs a better ending."

I'm leaning away from outlining still, but had started this thread because James Frey's "How to Write A Damn Good Mystery" was so urgent about the need to outline.
djulian is offline   Reply With Quote