View Single Post
Old 01-20-2011, 02:32 AM   #7
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison C View Post
This morning my email account was hijacked by spammers, who sent an email to pretty much everyone I've ever emailed (not just the addresses in my Contacts). It's a Gmail account, and I've never had this sort of problem before.

The only thing I can think of that I've done differently is that yesterday I used my Kindle to access emails;
I can understand that it looks an awful lot like the two things are related, but it's just a coincidence.

Quote:
When I'd finished I just went back to the book I was reading, without signing out from Gmail on the Kindle. (This may well have been stupid of me.)
If you don't sign out of your GMail, then someone could pick up your Kindle and get to your GMail. On the other hand, staying logged in is more convenient since you won't have to re-enter your password next time you want to check GMail on your Kindle. Logging out is more secure, but less convenient. Only you can decide whether the extra security is worth the inconvenience.

If you do leave it logged in, and decide that it was a bad idea (eg if you leave your Kindle on a bus/train/whatever), you can log into GMail from another machine, then log out all other sessions. This GMail help page has more information about that.

Quote:
slow running and odd error messages relating to a plugin-exe application error;
These are much more likely to be the cause of your GMail hijacking. As others have said, it's extremely unlikely to be related to using your Kindle to check your GMail.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote