View Single Post
Old 06-23-2010, 03:35 AM   #56
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
OK< I am getting this weirdness happening. After I have copied the font files into the font files of the kindle, I eject the kindle which is when I am supposed to restart. BUT - I am having issues. First issue was the 'attached kindle' page did not disappear from the kindle, but I could see the battery icon and space left on the top of the kindle. So I could not get to the settings page to restart. Finally got to the screensaver pages, and then when trying to wake the kindle, all that happens is that the next screensaver came on - it wouldnt wake up. NogDog on kindleboards got that sorted. Then I decided to try another kind of font, so I copied over again, ejected the kindle and the reading page came on (normal) but when I went into settings, instead of the settings page, I got the 'Deregister your kindle' option! Tried Cancel, and it wont disappear.

So instead of being able to restart the kindle as you say to do 'immediately' after changing the font, I have never been able to do this, other than by a holding of the wake button for a prolonged period. I guess this is ok but it might scare and panic a few people.

Hmm, now whenever I select 'settings' from the home page I get the deregister kindle message.

OK, did a wireless sync and I seem to be ok and am restarting. Fingers crossed.

So, I didnt like the font I had installed, so tried this again (third time lucky) and this time I left the wireless on while doing it. Worked like a charm!
Yeah, I guess if it's the Sans and/or the Serif font that the software doesn't like, you could run into more 'blank areas' than I ran into in my quick tests. I actually ran into the exact same 'deregister issue', until I realised I was doing '[MENU] > Settings -> [CLICK]' instead of '[MENU] > Settings -> [MENU] > Restart'. And, indeed, the deregister option is the default link on the Settings page, so that's what's triggered when you click, even if you can't see the Settings page.

I'd be interested to know more about your screensavers issue, though...

I seem to remember having these sort of things happen when switching to/from broken fonts, but it may have happened once with working fonts, I don't remember... >_<"

But, yeah, if weird and scary things like that happen to you, the power switch is your friend ^^.

EDIT: Or, better yet, I just remembered that there _is_ a reboot keyboard shortcut: Alt + Shift + R!

EDITē: Or, try rebooting just the framework: Alt + Shift + . (Not sure that'll be enough to actually swap the fonts, but, hey, if it does, that's way faster than a reboot! I'll try that tomorrow.)

EDIT2+1: Yeah, scratch that, that was K1 keyboard shortcuts. I'd be glad to know if there is an equivalent for these two shortcuts on the K2/KDX. Alt + Shift + . seems to only show a barcode with the serial number of my device on my k2i...

One 'safe' way to avoid this when switching fonts, provided the Kindle software handles them correctly, would be to remove the trigger file (linkfonts/auto), reboot, and then switch the fonts and recreate the trigger file, then reboot again. That's one more reboot, but it should be a bit safer.

If that doesn't make any sense, that's probably because it's 10 AM here, and I haven't slept yet.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-23-2010 at 04:12 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote