View Single Post
Old 05-30-2010, 12:45 AM   #15
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djgreedo View Post
The next Kindle really needs a touch screen (as well as improved speed and contrast). I find using the dictionary, highlighting, selecting links, etc. to be frustrating to the point that I generally ignore these features.

Everyone who picks up my Kindle who hasn't seen one before tries touching things on the screen.

If they can add a touch screen without damaging the readability then they will be onto a winner.

If they don't add touch I can't see mainstream users buying a Kindle over a tablet even though I personally find e-ink far superior to LCD for reading.

And does the Kindle need to be thinner? It's already incredibly thin, and I don't hear anybody complaining about its thickness. Any thinner and I think it might stray into 'flimsy' territory.
I have a Sony Touch and I find it's easier taking notes and underling on the Kindle. On the Sony, it's a bit more difficult starting and stopping the highlighting exactly where I want, even with the stylus, and calling up the virtual keyboard introduces a bit of a lag into the process of entering text. There's nothing like having a permanent physical keyboard right there whenever you need it. The Sony isn't bad, but in my opinion, the Kindle is better and easier for that. I take notes and use the dictionary function constantly. If Amazon ever comes out with a touchscreen Kindle, I hope it will be an addition to their Kindle line, and not a replacement.

Thinner I don't need. Like you, I'm afraid thinner could result in a less sturdy device.

I don't mean to sound as if I'm championing the K2 over the Sony Touch in every respect. There are areas where I feel the Sony outshines the Kindle (such as page turning), but note-taking and ease of dictionary use are, in my opinion, not those areas.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote