View Single Post
Old 01-20-2009, 02:18 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Beware of the cold or your e-reader may die

Joshua Bilmes made the unfortunate experience of his Amazon Kindle reader to die in the ghastly frigid weather that has plagued many of us these days. It's not that he didn't know that electronic devices were sensitive to the cold; it's the discovery of how very sensitive E Ink devices apparently are that made him write a letter to no one else but Mr. Bezos himself. And so Josh describes the last moments of his failing Kindle:

Quote:
And then last Thursday I took the Kindle with me on a family trip to Hartford on the coldest day of the year. I tried very hard to tend to the Kindle’s needs. I didn’t read it outdoors. I tried to keep it in the warm part of my backpack while waiting for a bus from downtown to my hotel or walking a bit to the hotel. I believe I may have had it in a pants pocket for a 5-minute walk each way from my hotel to an old-fashioned book store when the temperature may have been near the 14 degree storage temperature. Maybe I shouldn’t have. I went to turn on my Kindle that night in the hotel and could tell even before I turned it on that something was wrong. It wasn’t dust in the pointer window on the right of the Kindle but rather the dead remnants of the pointer, and the Kindle screen was no longer usable or functioning.
Find his full letter over here.

Question: How many of you, including yours truly, take your e-book reader everywhere you go, without even considering that a 10-minutes walk in the cold may cause permanent damage to its batteries, its internals or its E Ink display?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote