View Single Post
Old 06-04-2011, 11:39 AM   #23
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@Sabardeyn

I'm not exactly sure what all your issues are.
My ultimate point is: These are poor programming practices and should be corrected within the plugin. Negative feedback is required when a user attempts to perform an operation that exceeds the programming parameters.

To prevent posting a wall of text that most users are not going to be interested in, I'm going to try and vastly over-simplify here:

The plugin assumes that anything similar to a series and seriesindex column, whether a unique or derived column, is the same and treats it as such, with regards to the text and/or the index portion - across all columns (note: the plural - this affects all such columns!). The plugin assumes that the user has one, and only one, set of books that belong to one, and only one, unique data set - not field(s) or column(s). Furthermore it assumes that their is one, and only one, unique data set as input and as output.

The user may or may not know that the books selected for use with this plugin are a single unique data set; however, they may need to resolve these books into separate data sets. But as programmed the plugin forces conformity to an unknown and unrequested standard imposed on the user without previous knowledge or prior notification.

(Further explanation under the spoiler.)

Spoiler:
My database, using a cut-down version of my previously posted example, appears as:

Code:
Title                    Universe    Series
--------------------------------------------------------------
Birthright               Diablo[1]   Diablo The Sin War[1]
Demonsbane               Diablo[1]   Diablo The Sin War[1]
When altering one column within the plugin and pressing OK, your plugin alters both.

For instance changing one column's index changes both columns accordingly. Additionally, the text portion of any column is assumed to be the same through out - whether or not this is the case (example: Universe[1], SeriesOne[1]; Universe[1]SeriesTwo[1] = Universe[1], SeriesOne[1]; Universe[1]SeriesOne[2]), regardless of which column is being edited.

So when I tried to create this:
Code:
Birthright               Diablo[1]   The Sin War[1]
Demonsbane               Diablo[4]
what I ended up with is
Code:
Birthright               Diablo[1]   Diablo The Sin War[1]
Demonsbane               Diablo[4]   Diablo The Sin War[4]
Note how the series' name did not change (I know you say you cannot replicate, nor have I, but this still pertains in general, see next paragraph below). More importantly, the plugin threw back in the series name and index after I deleted it from the second book in the example above.

Lastly, just now, I tried to replicate the failure to change "Diablo The Sin War" to "The Sin War" by deleting "Diablo" and pressing OK. In this attempt, I just selected the books shown highlighted in blue to correct the series name. These were the only ones that needed correction. (Please see included image.) My exact steps were:
  • In calibre, search for "diablo". 8 matches returned.
  • Items 2-4 were what I wanted, I highlighted these.
  • Clicked on the Manage Series icon on the toolbar.
  • Series Column: Series was already selected within the plugin.
  • Set cursor into field Series: Diablo The Sin War.
  • Deleted "Diablo" by pressing the Backspace key five times.
  • Accepted corrected series name by pressing Enter.
  • Clicked OK button.

However, please take special note of the numbering in both the Universe and Series columns. Everything was numbered correctly to start out, I just needed to correct the series name. That is the only field I touched in any way. So how did they end up as books 8-10?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Manage Series Plugin Problem 1.jpg
Views:	643
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	72291  
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote