View Single Post
Old 11-27-2009, 02:39 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Kindle View Post
I don't think that any general purpose software would be able to take Kindle snapshots.

However Kindle has Rescue Mode which most likely can completely reflash main Kindle partition block by block.

So to get backup/restore functionality on Kindle you'll need figure out how to do 3 things:
1) Find where main partition is stored on the flash chip and dump it to user accessible partition
2) Figure out how to convert it to binary update format
3) Figure out to to create updates that would install from rescue mode. No one was able to do it so far.

I know a little bit of linux but not enough to do all the things mentioned with reasonable effort.
Well that's all way over my head but I see the answer at this time is "no".

Thanks for responding.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote