View Single Post
Old 07-11-2009, 03:35 PM   #13
power100
power100 began at the beginning.

Device: no
As far as I know, many eink reader are producing in mainland china/taiwan now.
For example, Hanlin has been producing eink reader for more than 5 years.
there are are more than 4 main e-reader device manufacturers in Chinese market now.

Amazon is monopolizing eink reader in US market, because it dominates on-line book selling. and it is trying to binding content and device as apple.

this business model can't be copied to other countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
True, most electronic goods (and most of everything else these days, it seems) is made in China. I did not mean to say that good products cannot be made in China. That would be nonsense. But the key is strict quality control --- which companies that work for the local market often do not have, since prices they can get for knockoffs tend to be ridiculously low.

As far as I know, the Kindle is made by Foxconn which is a subsidiary of Hong Hai Industries. They are one of the biggest electronics OEM companies and would never be stupid enough to copy a product which they produce for somebody else and commit commercial suicide. And while it cannot be ruled out that some subsuppliers sell parts elsewhere they would be careful about offending a big customer, too. Even if they do, the companies that produce knockoffs have less stringent standards and pay a lot less for parts, so they would still not be the same quality. An example, iphone knockoffs sell for around $100, a factory unlocked (not the subsidized kind they sell in the US) iphone costs 6-700.
power100 is offline   Reply With Quote