View Single Post
Old 09-22-2015, 03:05 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley66 View Post
Thank you for the reply!

I believe good design is focusing on functionality, but please do not understand me wrong, I admire the product made with passion, knowledge, lots of functions and distributed freely. I don't mean to criticize Calibre. It just feels too complex and huge for me personally, when used just to sync a few books on my Kobo and have a few more waiting on my mac.
Understood.

I do think it would be nice if someone with the right knowledge could help polish the UI -- after all, many people do value that (and would be more likely to use calibre), and it can only be a positive.

Another interesting idea that has nobody to bring it to life, is a Simplified mode.

Quote:
Mac OS has already a good data organisation with spotlight search, etc. Dropbox do the rest (synchronisation, possible backup). So I was wondering maybe there is some light utility which can just allow you to see eBook covers in a gallery style and (optionally) categorise them. I saw old posts saying that there is no alternative to calibre, but was hoping times have changed..
Not really.
There are a few web frontends for ebooks (see the Calibre ==> Related Tools subforum) but that isn't the same thing at all. And they mostly read calibre's database...

Quote:
The little technical issue I have is when I start Calibre form the Applications it behaves like I just downloaded it and opening for the first time.
That is odd.
Preferences ==> Miscellaneous ==> Open calibre configuration directory (button)
Should default to something like "~/Library/Application Support/calibre" I believe.

Is the configuration not being written for some reason?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote