View Single Post
Old 07-05-2009, 01:01 AM   #7
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
I find it difficult to believe this kind of thing could be patented.
Nothing is too ridiculous to be patented.

Quote:
It's hardly cutting edge. My own company used to put ads in e-books we published back in 2005 (we stopped the practice because we decided the ads were not effective).
They may be patenting a way to insert *dynamic* ads, that change every time the ebook is opened, or ads that always appear when you open the ebook. Or at least ads that depend on the exact time you buy the ebook. But I suspect that this is an attempt to use Whispernet to inflict variable content into ebooks--today's top ad, that appears when you open the book, before you go to your saved page. (And possibly the book doesn't work if you're outside of Whispernet range or have it turned off.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote