View Single Post
Old 07-01-2013, 04:51 PM   #3
stutzj
Zealot
stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, PW2, Kindle 5(black)
I had a Paperwhite and downgraded to the basic and have not regretted my decision to do that.

My reasons:
1. slimmer, lighter and easier for me to hold.
2. looks better in a well lit room. Because:
A) the natural color of the screen is lighter and provides better contrast IMO than the PW light off/very low. The PW screen is more of darker coffee color while the Basic Kindle (as you know) is more grey.
B) The capacitive touch screen and the lighting system on the PW create extra layers which to me make the e-ink text look sunken into the screen. I like the basic because the text seems to be right on top of the screen similar to ink on paper. That seems lost to me on the PW.
3. Battery life on the PW seems to drain faster especially when using the light which cannot be fully turned off.
3. PW felt too much like an electronic device (a tablet). Others may disagree so I want to emphasize that this is a subjective opinion. What I want in a e-reader is to disappear into the reading experience in the same way that I do with a book. The less bells and whistles, the less distractions.

There is a lot like about the PW - easier to read under different light conditions, better collection menu's, sleek feel and generally a nice looking device, fonts, customization etc.

IMO having owned both devices the kindle basic looks much better under good natural light. That's what mattered to me and that's what I compared both devices with when I had them (I bought both to test). If you find yourself agreeing with me, I would wait for the PW II.

I'm hoping they update the basic to higher ppi and more fonts while keeping it a non touch device.

Last edited by stutzj; 07-01-2013 at 05:03 PM.
stutzj is offline   Reply With Quote