View Single Post
Old 07-02-2009, 04:10 PM   #4
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
From my perspective, the issue is that when we purchase e-books we are not purchasing the file, but the right to use the file (a license model). With p-books, you're purchasing the physical product, which is then yours to do with as you see fit. With a license model, there are restrictions on what can legally be done with the license.

Except, Doreen, the 'license model' has never held up in court, so the legality of loaning or reselling ebooks is still rather gray.

You can resell used software, loan it, etc, even though the distributors *say* you only have a license and they still control your use of it. This is not legal on their part.

There are a lot of myths about copyright that certain copyright holders want you to believe (the license myth being one of them) that have no legal basis at all. No matter what the EULA says. A contract that is inherently illegal is not legally binding.

I've never actually loaned out an ebook, but I would have no qualms about doing so for someone I trusted to erase the file once they were done reading it. Mass file-sharing is another story - not legal, nor should it be, IMHO.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote