Thread: MobileRead January 09 book nominations
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2008, 05:09 PM   #10
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Yeah it is a long book.. Mos of the better Niven and Pournelle collaborations have been longer books. That being said, when I first read it (must be close to 20 years ago now.. and I haven't read it since), I think I finished in under 2 weeks.

Personally, I think it is one of the best first contact novels every written. Niven and Pournelle do an excellent job of making aliens that we can understand, but whom think nothing like we do.

Essentially, I am looking for an excuse to read this again and I am probably going to right after I finish the Count of Monte Cristo.

--
Bill