View Single Post
Old 05-05-2006, 01:52 PM   #15
ElaHuguet
iLiad freak
ElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litter

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleTalker
Elahuget: I want to browse using the iLiad for the same reason I want to read my PDFs on the iLiad: read away from the desk with an easy-to-handle screen (I did consider a tablet PC before learning of the iLiad) and being able to do it for hours with no eyestrain (so the tablet is out...).
I can understand that, but I think we need something different to do so, not e-ink. Apparently, appropriate technologies for no-eyestrain, fast-refresh is being currently investigated, we won't have to wait much. But asking e-ink to be other than what it is... doesn't make sense.

Quote:
I read much more content from the internet than I do from books. Actually, I'd say so does the majority of people nowadays (those lucky enaugh to have internet access, of course). I think of the iLiad as an e-Reader, not an e-book-reader. There is so much more to read than books (rss feeds, blogs, comics). So e-readers should be able to cope with all the sources of content we have today.
Any page of the internet is meant for reading, basically, apart from streaming media, so you're not leaving much out, eh? I think books, magazines and newspapers have different formats because of different content, and I don't ask for magazines or newspapers to come in paperback format... which is what you seem to be asking for right now. Now, if you're willing to take the trouble yourself in adapting that internet content (taking away frames, margins, side menus, banners...); or, another solution, pay for the internet content provider to adapt it and serve it to us on the IDS platter... it's still not a magazine, but it might do.

Quote:
It's not a matter of making it a hybrid (as in: calendar, games, e-mail... I don't care for these features). It's about displaying static content meant to be read. I usually like to browse the wikipedia and read about whatever comes to mind. After a little while, my eyes can't take it anymore. I am hoping to do the same using the iLiad. So what if that drains the battery? I plan to use it at home, connected to my wireless LAN and I don't mind to plug the power outlet while I read. If the wireless connection is there, why not use it?
Why not use your PC connection, which is also "there"? I can see the sense in developing a program to download x page (or set of pages that you configure, including RSS) at some set time, and have it all ready to be popped into the USB drive for you when you wake up in the morning, say (or any other time), like I have my virus scanner at 5 am, so that in the morning I just have to check the final result (AND it doesn't use up my memory/processing capacity while I'm using the PC). Make the best of the PC with its functions, and use the iLiad for reading. As soon as it becomes multipurpose, the price shoots up (just see the Sony Reader vs. iLiad for that).
ElaHuguet is offline   Reply With Quote