View Single Post
Old 05-05-2006, 08:48 AM   #13
LittleTalker
Connoisseur
LittleTalker began at the beginning.

Elahuget: I want to browse using the iLiad for the same reason I want to read my PDFs on the iLiad: read away from the desk with an easy-to-handle screen (I did consider a tablet PC before learning of the iLiad) and being able to do it for hours with no eyestrain (so the tablet is out...). I read much more content from the internet than I do from books. Actually, I'd say so does the majority of people nowadays (those lucky enaugh to have internet access, of course). I think of the iLiad as an e-Reader, not an e-book-reader. There is so much more to read than books (rss feeds, blogs, comics). So e-readers should be able to cope with all the sources of content we have today. It's not a matter of making it a hybrid (as in: calendar, games, e-mail... I don't care for these features). It's about displaying static content meant to be read. I usually like to browse the wikipedia and read about whatever comes to mind. After a little while, my eyes can't take it anymore. I am hoping to do the same using the iLiad. So what if that drains the battery? I plan to use it at home, connected to my wireless LAN and I don't mind to plug the power outlet while I read. If the wireless connection is there, why not use it?

Henry: let's hope they end up implementing something for the wireless (I can't browse my files, I can't browse the web. Oh wait! I can connect to IDS! I always wanted an exclusive wireless device to connect to an online store!!! great!!!).
As to 'removing' undesired content, it's not so much work IMHO. When you visit a page with lots of flash and you don't have the flash plugin, you can still see the page but with no animation. Thus the iLiad should have no problems with flash since there's no flash at all (the same goes for any other embedded object such as java applets). If you disable javascript by default, block hover effects (not so hard either) and prevent gif animation, then you need little else to prevent animation in pages. Of course it's not going to have all the features of a regular browser, of course many sites will not be possible to browse at all. But as I said before, limited browsing is better than no browsing at all.
And, about paginating content, isn't that already implemented? I was actually impressed on how well the HTML is displayed, I though it would look very sluggish. That's where my perplexity comes from, since it seems it takes very little to enable web browsing.
I guess it's another case of 'we are aiming at corporate use' again. But corporate users would probably thank browsing as well.

Last edited by LittleTalker; 05-05-2006 at 08:50 AM.
LittleTalker is offline   Reply With Quote