View Single Post
Old 08-11-2010, 01:30 AM   #26
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Hi melmike.

I haven't set eyes on a BeBook, so I don't feel I can really judge it. In deciding what to buy, I tended to discount devices that I couldn't find a distributor for here in Oz. I know that cut out a fair number of options, but I've bought stuff from overseas before and ... well, anything can be faulty, and if it turns out to be, not having local support gets really expensive.

Anyway. My first two thoughts about the BeBook: it's pretty expensive (the website lists the cheapest model as AUD $499), and it's a bit small. I have very big hands, and while I understand the reason for people wanting things smaller, it kinda drives me nuts if things are too small for me, and it makes my hands cramp. The BeBook One doesn't have much frame space to let you hold the thing without getting fingers on the screen or pressing buttons accidentally. (Oh, and it doesn't support DRM-enabled MOBI format, so Amazon books are out.)

Apparently the BeBook is a revamped version of the Hanlin e.reader, so that might be another option too. I found an interesting website at www.best-ereaders.com, which has reasonable reviews.

Something I found out yesterday, which I didn't mention because I wasn't sure if it was announced yet or not, is that iRiver will be releasing two very different models in October here in Oz: a wireless version virtually identical to the existing Story (other than the increased colour resolution in the screen), which apparently will be similarly hard-wired into WH Smith's like the UK version (hasn't WH Smith already had a shot at the book market in OZ, and slunk off with its tail between its legs? I guess it's having another try), and a very different version with a touch-screen (you can see it here. Another iRiver-specific site. Can't be too many, as far as I'm concerned!)

Oh, and I got confirmation that the newer version of the firmware written for the new wireless model will be released for updating the original model as well, though I guess how much it improves the OS (as opposed to just supporting the wireless functions) remains to be seen.

Last edited by MacEachaidh; 08-11-2010 at 01:33 AM.
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote