View Single Post
Old 01-28-2010, 06:17 AM   #14
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWhite View Post
Per your questions:

I am going to go with those on these Forums who believe the iPad will open up the market with more Periodical content - I am thinking of all the magazines which are struggling these days.

An awful lot of eReader Devices were announced at CES - no way all those are going to go to market now with Apple facing them at high noon.

This house has zero Apple devices. I own no smart phone and no laptop. Yes there is room for this device. Yes, the iPad has been marked as a definite purchase in 2010 for this household.
I don't know if I'd be so quick to label it a definite purchase, but it's one of the better things to come out in 2010 so far. Of course, it's January, and I have my fingers crossed that there were a few companies holding back announcements until after the Apple furor has cooled off. With the tremendous speculation that was going on for a while, it would be wise for companies to hold back a little bit to avoid being eclipsed outright.

My only hope for an Apple tablet was not that the tablet itself would be great, but that it would be a little bit of a catalyst for progress and development by being more attractive to the general public and to content providers than e-paper readers are.

I'd like an e-paper reader, but it needs to be much better than current E-Ink in both reading quality and in speed/usability. I suspect that while the iPad will mostly just nudge more "me too" makers to produce copycat tablets with LCDs, it may also encourage more adoption and development of better e-paper. Perhaps EPD developers will manage to make big improvements as Bridgestone and E-Ink claim, or perhaps EWD or Mirasol will start cutting in.

CES was rather depressing, but there may still be some hope yet for the rest of the year
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote