View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 04:18 PM   #41
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
Is there a place I can go to find out what models you guys mean with the acronyms? I'm actually pretty new to Amazon e-readers--a year ago I bought what I think is now called a Kindle 3 or Kindle Keyboard (the cheap one with SO), just before the late 2011 models came out. But it worked fine and I never looked into the 4th gen ones, or anything else until PW was announced. I'm able to figure out some of what the later acronyms mean, but not K4B or K4S. (I suppose I want to figure out my other options if I call it quits on the PW.)
Sorry, we just make these acronyms up and some of them become the standard on the forum. This is a list of them:
  • K1, first gen Kindle
  • K2, 2nd gen
  • K3 or KK, 3rd gen Kindle with Keyboard
  • K4 or K4S or K4B, 4th gen, K4S is silver and was sold 2011-2012, K4B is black and is currently being sold
  • K5 or KT, 4th gen, Kindle Touch
  • KPW or PW, 5th gen, Kindle Paperwhite
  • K6 or KF, 1st gen Kindle Fire

The K + # scheme is used quite often by the dev types because it refers to the firmware number associated with the particular model. Two Kindles use FW 4.x.x (K4S and K4B) and now two use 5.x.x (Touch and Paperwhite). I've got no idea what FW is on the newer Fire models.

By the way, we use our made up acronyms because Amazon used to like to call the current Kindle simply "Kindle" and after the first generation that became confusing, so we devised these acronyms to let each other know exactly which model we were talking about.

Last edited by jswinden; 10-08-2012 at 04:23 PM.