View Single Post
Old 01-20-2012, 12:06 PM   #275
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@kbullkar - welcome to MobileRead.

As you found in my quoted text, the idea of some kind of tag mapping tool has floated around for a while. I lost any personal motivation to write it because nowadays I just use the Goodreads plugin for my tags, and I ensured that it has a tag mapping mechanism inside it that does all I need. I know this doesn't help people out there who have existing tags, unless they are willing to erase them all and just grab from Goodreads, but as that is a possible workaround my care factor isn't sufficient to spend the time coding an alternative . That doesn't not mean someone else could not do so of course, I am sure there would be users who would like it.

For series/title, have you looked into metadata plugboards? They should solve your issues with prefixing the title with the series when sending to your Kindle. You can get a report of books missing in a series out of the Quality Check plugin. However it can never tell when a series is missing "later" books, nor does it have any integration with websites like Goodreads.

As for authors, what I do is use the Quick Preferences plugin to juggle between my various regexes when importing. It doesn't however solve the "FN LN" vs "LN, FN" issue. Trying to come up with a universal name switching algorithm is problematic as Kovid/chaley have mentioned a few times, particularly when you consider calibre is used to store non-english named authors as well. Usually I have drilled down into that author with a search (in combination with Alt+A) before I add a book for that author. So it is easy enough to do a copy/paste from the "proper" author name of an existing entry over the top of the new book - either individually or via the bulk editor dialog. For when multiple authors, I agree it is a pain, and I personally end up manually retyping the whole series in LN1, FN1 & LN2, FN2 &... format. But it doesn't happen often enough for me to code up an alternative

Good luck should you choose to write something...
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote