View Single Post
Old 05-31-2012, 12:54 PM   #212
davidwfleming
Ebook Dude
davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Exactly my sentiments with Twitter right now. 2+ years ago, it may have been the magic bullet for indie authors. Now, I've seen aspiring authors with near 80K followers that aren't getting the results they want.

I've gotten 4K pageviews to my blog through StumbleUpon and no significant click-throughs or sales.

Meanwhile, I've noticed many emerging indies don't even have a blog ("BUT YOU GOTTA HAVE A BLOG!!!?") They're focusing on their Amazon metadata. This probably isn't a bad idea.

I've pumped so much effort into podcasting and blogging and it seems that maybe: bloggers like to read blogs; podcasters like to listen to podcasts and ebook readers like to go to Amazon and read ebooks, period.

So many people beat themselves up doing a million things all over the web and their Amazon pages don't look professional.

All the while, while I was doing this I kept thinking to myself that I was going against Ben Franklin's adage: Don't scatter your force.

Also, the "lone hero method" hasn't worked that well for me. If I had it to do it all over again, MS Project would be my best friend. I would look to hire out freelancers and have concurrent tasks planned and running. Most of the success stories I've seen recently have been sticking to their core competency of writing, hiring out everything else and using the latest technologies in everything.
davidwfleming is offline   Reply With Quote