Old 05-05-2011, 10:25 PM   #15
tlindgren
tlindgren began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
US Kindle = AT&T SIM
International Kindle = Vodafone SIM
Actually, which SIM/Kindle model that Amazon US sends for the "Kindle with International Shipping" depends on what "primary country" you select (there are two models, "AT&T US"/B006 and "Vodafone UK"/B00A).

I don't know which model Amazon sends to Sweden, but I do know that they send the AT&T US SIM model (serial B006) to Norway for example, so it's not something can be assumed.

But Amazon also says that both models works in the same list of countries, I expect that Amazon is just trying to save a bit of money by selecting the most economical delivery for the most common case based on expected country (makes sense).

Also, I expect that UK Kindles are always Vodafone UK, the problem with the UK Kindle store is that it's locked down to only "UK accounts", which in turns require an UK delivery address (not hard since it's not used) and UK credit-card. The second requirement is harder and according to some not always enforced, but to be 100% safe you need to have this and use it for for all payments ever on that account (including transaction on the same account on other Amazon sites). Realistically anyone outside the UK is much better of on the US Kindle store.

I can also mention that in my experience the most common format by far for Swedish ebooks at Swedish internet bookstores are "ePub with watermarks", I've purchased a few and as expected they've worked fine via Calibre on my Kindle 3.
tlindgren is offline   Reply With Quote