View Single Post
Old 03-29-2012, 05:48 PM   #111
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCCPhreak View Post
"fastboot check" reports CRC-failures on bist, userdata, kernel, diags_kernel, system, diags and data. Even after doing a "fastboot erase diags", check fails. Same response after "fastboot flash diags mmc..." (I dd'ed the partitions from another kindle 4nt as I didn't find a diags backup online) - although it sometimes fixes that "not booting to diags but to black screen" problem.
These CRC failure messages reported by fastboot are normal for kindles. You can generally ignore them. One reason is that the CRC is stored in the flash header, but when the kindle changes the contents of these partitions by booting from them or doing updates on them, it does not adjust the CRC stored in the flash header, which makes the fastboot check function report false errors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCCPhreak View Post
Some little thing that confused me: The "Adjust battery" in diags mode often reports a negative battery charge current. Still, that screen assured me that charging the battery works. When the Kindle is connected to a charging device, the device battery level rises.. (up to 100 where it is at the moment).
The kindles use a Lithium Ion battery, which is supposed to be discharged to only 40% capacity (but no more than 70%) for shipping or long term storage, for maximum life. The diagnostics will discharge the battery (negative charging current) to get the voltage down to a safe shipping level. This is NOT normally something you want to do after you put a kindle into service.

My testing shows that kindles charge best in fastboot mode.

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-29-2012 at 05:57 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote