View Single Post
Old 12-21-2010, 10:39 PM   #132
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I've just written another plugin called "Rename series". I won't bother posting it here yet unless anyone asks for it as it might be too niche but here is "why" I wrote it.

What it does is allow you to rename all instances of a series name, in a similar way to what you can do in the tag viewer on the left of the screen. The advantages it offers over the tag viewer are:
1. You don't have to have the tag viewer pane visible using up real estate
2. You don't have to scroll and expand your way to find the series name (which can be time consuming when you have lots of series)
3. After renaming it executes your current search and retains the selected row, unlike the tag viewer which annoyingly clears your search so you have to "start again" to get back to the set of rows you were looking at.

In comparison to the bulk edit dialog it offers these advantages:
1. You don't have to have all books in the series selected to rename the series
2. It defaults the series name to the existing one rather than blank as in the bulk metadata dialog
3. Most importantly, it does not tamper in any way with series index values. With the bulk metadata dialog you are forced to overwrite series index values which even with careful ordering of selections is a no-go if you have missing books in the sequence.

You third existing way of correcting a series name is to directly type it into the grid row. If you only have one book to change that is still your best choice. However for more than one book it still can offer some advantages:
1. You don't have to have all books in the series visible in your search results to rename the series
2. Obviously faster if you have a lot of books in the series
3. As you are changing only the name it can be less "fiddly" and faster to edit that in isolation on a popup dialog, compared to entering edit mode, positioning the cursor, being careful not to interfere with the series index [] brackets etc. Combining series and index together for viewing saves screen estate but makes editing either of them a pain imho, especially series index with it's finickyness for [brackets].

Anyways, if anyone else wants it let me know and I will upload it.

Last edited by kiwidude; 12-21-2010 at 10:44 PM.