View Single Post
Old 01-16-2010, 01:22 AM   #15
ltamote
ltamote can extract oil from cheeseltamote can extract oil from cheeseltamote can extract oil from cheeseltamote can extract oil from cheeseltamote can extract oil from cheeseltamote can extract oil from cheeseltamote can extract oil from cheeseltamote can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505 (500 dead); PRS-600; Kindle 2; PRS-300; Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSaunders View Post
The cautionary tale here reinforces "DRM is Bad." Because we bought books with DRM, Sony can decide to force us to another format. Regardless of how it looks on the reader, after the fact, without recourse. I have lots of LRX books, that still look better than EPUB on the 505, all because I made them from non-DRMed sources.
I totally agree. I had sort of brushed off the DRM discussions before, but I now see that I was wrong to do so. Unfortunately, many of the books I'm interested in are still under copyright and only available with DRM. I will say that my experience with the 500/505, and now Kindle 2, has opened my eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSaunders View Post
Don't blame the 505 because "DRM is Bad", just buy and read something available without DRM.
That is a good point, but I do still have an issue with the feel and look and ergonomics of the device itself. If it were just the formatting, I would start a crash course on Calibre (fantastic product, by the way). But, for me, it's not just the formatting, it's also device aesthetics. Not a huge deal, only a minor annoyance.

I did have 3 happy years with the PRS-500! But I'm still weirdly attached to it. I read Quicksilver on it, and even though the Kindle 2 or 505 should be the correct device for that book now (being the designated nightstand/bedtime e-book readers), I can only read The Confusion on the 600, its being closest to the 500 in intangibles*...

--

*The 600's dictionary, with extensive 17th century vocab, doesn't hurt. (Also available on the Kindle 2, with some time-consuming cursor movements.)

Last edited by ltamote; 01-16-2010 at 01:35 AM.
ltamote is offline   Reply With Quote