View Single Post
Old 11-22-2011, 10:36 PM   #359
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
The problem is we see lack of customization as a bug. The companies, esp Apple, see it as a feature. Simplicity wins every time. It's VERY hard to make things simple. The lazy way to do it is to leave out features. Problem solved.

Look at iBooks. It has that whole real book simulation thing going, with the page turn and book borders. Put in night mode, and it's going to look ugly. What book has black pages? So you have to rethink the look. Nah, too much trouble. So, no night mode for you!

Why do many readers allow only five or six different font sizes? Well it's easier for people to see all their choices and pick one, and you can only put so many on the option screen, so five it is. Want more? No size for you!

Same thing with font face, and on and on.
Slavish adherence to a metaphor to the detriment of usability is a flaw all on its own. Personally, I find it insulting. Apple thinks I'm so dumb that I need to see a picture of a book to understand how to read an ebook.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote