View Single Post
Old 07-16-2014, 10:12 AM   #1
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
Manual installation of dictionaries

Since wifi on Kobo is a bit slow and buggy and anyway normally I don't need it, and since I want to install also custom dictionaries, I write this little guide to how manually install dictionaries on Kobo.

First of all, you need to download the dictionaries and put them in the /.kobo/dict/ directory. For custom dictionaries, be sure there's not another package inside the package. If so, it means this is the real dictionary package.

Secondly, you have to open the database with your favourite sqlite editor, and go to the "Dictionary" table. Here you have to set the "Installed" column to "true" for every installed dictionary, update "Size" to the size of the dictionary package in bytes, and change "isSynced" to "true". If you have more than one dictionary for a language (because you are using the custom dicts, for example), you can use some unused languages.

I suggest you to create a .sql file with:

PHP Code:
update "Dictionary" set Installed="true"Size="XXX"LastModified=null where Suffix="YYY"
You must have a line for every dictionary you want to manually install, and replace XXX with the dictionary size, as explained above, and YYY with the corresponding suffix value. After that, you have only to run these sql statements in your db.

Thirdly, you have to run this SQL command:
PHP Code:
insert or replace into "Activity" (IdEnabledTypeActionDateDatavalues ("","TRUE","Sync","2","2014-08-05T11:22:00",X'000000010000002600530059004E0043005F004C004100530054005F00530059004E0043005F00540049004D0045000000100000257D1702AF2FAF02'); 
You have to change the "Date" field before. Current date and time will be good.

Finally, if you want to install custom dictionaries, you have to rename them. The dictionary names must be "dicthtmlSUFFIX.zip", where SUFFIX is the value of the "Suffix" column of the corresponding row. The only exception is the English dictionary, which name is dicthtml.zip.
Please note that you can't search words in custom dictionaries. You have to select a word inside the text and change to the custom dict.

Close you db connection, safely unmount Kobo, and voila'!

Last edited by Lucas Malor; 08-06-2014 at 04:31 AM. Reason: typo
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote