View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012, 12:30 PM   #143
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by willus View Post
Markom--I'm not quite sure what you're getting at since the whole objective of k2pdfopt is to magnify the text and/or to crop out excess white space and margins. Maybe you want to e-mail me via my web site and we can discuss it offline?
Sometimes removing black margins close to the text (due to bad scanning) is not perfect with k2pdfopt or any other application there.
I mean it is always at least good enough for reading on my small eink reader in landscape mode and I'm very glad with it, but on small screen every millimeter is sometimes important so i prefer to use Briss to crop pdf image as closer to the text as possible and then use this cropped pdf in k2pdfopt, but even then sometimes result is not perfect or it takes more time.

I'm talking about pdf scans with ocr in the background (searchable image) here.

If there was tool to automatically crop such pdf at the text width(size) i.e. maybe (if possible) by somehow using already existing ocr in background for necessary data where to exactly cut the front image, there will be no need to manually draw rectangles like in Briss or Pdfscissors or to try different margin values in k2pdfopt for different pages and result would always be near perfect.

So, yes, this wish of mine is not directly connected with k2pdfopt itself but as you've mentioned on your pages:

"... A future release might also have an option for a different type of output that would use cropping instructions rather than rasterizing to generate the converted file (similar to what is done in Cut2Col, SoPDF, and the latest version of PaperCrop, which all leave the text in searchable form if it started that way in the original file)."

maybe you can figure things out and grant us another great cropping tool.

Last edited by markom; 09-06-2012 at 02:08 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote