View Single Post
Old 10-03-2009, 08:04 AM   #12
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Since reading that article and thinking about this and checking out some other info on Dickens I'm finding him/it fascinating all over again and have kind of committed to reading and/or reading all of his work. I've started Hard Times at the moment. One thing I read says something to the effect that he is the only English writer who's novels have never gone out of print. I don't know if that is actually true or not, but it seems very likely.

It seems to me there are three things that make him so popular.

1) he writes about the human condition - things we all feel/fear/are familiar with
2) he creates amazingly interesting characters that are exaggerated but still believable.
3) he writes simply, clearly and understandably.

I'm just realizing that these same descriptions perhaps apply to Mark Twain as well another extremely popular writer.

Last edited by kennyc; 10-03-2009 at 08:06 AM. Reason: typo, clarification
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote