Thread: Pricing
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2010, 05:06 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by markstani View Post
Hi, I'm interested in what fellow authors and readers think about e-book pricing. I recently published a collection of short stories via Smashwords. My primary intention - based on the assumption that I was never going to earn enough royalties to make a living - was simply to get my work out there, perhaps build a little following to set things up for a bigger response to future, more significant works, ie a novel. I priced my book at a rather nominal USD2.99, but soon came to the conclusion that having a handful of extra dollars in my pocket was nothing compared to having no dollars but literally hundreds of extra readers. So I made it free and overnight, in terms of download statistics, it took off. I just wondered what others thought about this conundrum. Do too many of us fall for the illusion of short-term gain? Shouldn't we as authors be using e-books effectively to promote our talents, rather than simply to try to do a hard sell on them? I love that hundreds of people are reading my book. I'll happily sacrifice a few dollars for that.
How do you know that "hundreds of people are reading your book"? Hundreds of people may have downloaded it, but downloads certainly don't equate to readers.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote