View Single Post
Old 07-20-2012, 01:58 PM   #32
Jesse Chisholm
Enthusiast
Jesse Chisholm actually enjoys Vogon poetry.Jesse Chisholm actually enjoys Vogon poetry.Jesse Chisholm actually enjoys Vogon poetry.Jesse Chisholm actually enjoys Vogon poetry.Jesse Chisholm actually enjoys Vogon poetry.Jesse Chisholm actually enjoys Vogon poetry.Jesse Chisholm actually enjoys Vogon poetry.Jesse Chisholm actually enjoys Vogon poetry.Jesse Chisholm actually enjoys Vogon poetry.Jesse Chisholm actually enjoys Vogon poetry.Jesse Chisholm actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: none
@Wyndam
re: Lords of the North
The clip you sent is a .WAV file, which my meta data reader does not know how to handle RIFF metadata.
I am not sure how much metadata is in a WAV file (The RIFF INFO block, mostly), but if there is enough, I'll see if I can pull it out in a future version of the plugin.

From your screen shots, I see the original is in M4B format, which my plugin _should_ handle. ( Though I am unsure if it can handle a DRMed M4B file. I've never tried )

re: my option 2 and 2.5
Yes, in #2 I was suggesting converting the MP3 collection into either a single huge MP3 file or a single M4A file after converting the audio to AAC. Since you have an M4B collection, it would just mean glomming them into a single huge file, with whatever internal adjustments were needed.

You mentioned the issues with "single huge files" on a mobile platform. I find similar issues on my PC. I really don't want to go there.

Option #2.5 is similar, in that it makes a single huge file (already compressed audio doesn't compress well into a ZIP). No audio data conversion is needed. But listening to the files is problematic. Also I can't get the metadata out of these ZIPped files, so it is kind of pointless. I really don't want to go there either.

re: copy the files into Calibre even though I don't listen to them there
Yes, the whole "copy" is problematic. Yet not copying them is also problematic.

There is an option #4, which is not automatic at this time, but very manual.
  • Make a small HTML file that describes and links to the audio files stored elsewhere on your system (or on the web).
  • Name that file so the Calibre file name default parsing gets something useful for metadata.
  • Add that file to Calibre. (possibly as an additional format for an existing book)
  • Manually correct the metadata.
BENEFITS:
  • The file in Calibre is small (audio is not copied)
  • It can be stored in Calibre along side the EBUB or other text format of the file
  • Clicking the link to an audio file _should_ bring up your system's player for that file.
DRAWBACKS:
  • Calibre knows nothing about the actual audio files.
  • Calibre, therefore, will NOT copy the audio files to your mobile device when it copies the HTML file to your device.
  • This method, therefore, is only useful on your main PC. (if at all).

-Jesse
Jesse Chisholm is offline   Reply With Quote