View Single Post
Old 03-05-2009, 11:14 AM   #56
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenmoy View Post
After using OS X for years, I've seen so many cases for pixi hacks on the systems. And every time Apple pushes out a software update, so many griefs are created on both sides... Both the users of the hacks and the devs who are assigned to investigate on root cause.
As a developer I have been on both sides of the. When people change you software or use it as no intended and have problems, they expect you to fix it.

This is always why as a user I resist installing hacks that are out side of the standard expected configuration methods.

This is also why as a developer I strive to ensure that there are planned extension points that won't cause as much pain during updates. Document them so the users know what you expect. It is not always easy to do.

This is why I am very surprised that the kindle doesn't allow for "screen saver" images to be changed by the users. It is obvious if you looked around that people were doing in on the K1... and to expect that they would want do it on the K2.

THe only motivation I can think of that they don't want you doing this is because they are going to rotate those images when you are connected to whispernet with ads. TiVo puts ads on its menu to increase there revenue. I would not be at all surprised if Amazon started doing this once they have a captive audience of Kindle users.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote