View Single Post
Old 03-22-2010, 04:56 AM   #10
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
Your DRM free digital song will play fine in 20 years,. A silly piece of plastic...... not so much....

Remember 78 RPM albums? Of course you don't.... that's my point.
Remember 33 1/3 RPM albums? Maybe, listen to any lately?
Remember 45 RPM singles? Maybe, listen to any lately?

Digital can be converted to whatever the next format is.... and thus played on future players. CD's are a wastedof money.... they wear out, warp, oxidize.... etc.
Media should be viewed as what they are - i.e. media for transferrring the content. I only listen to music digitally, but I prefer to buy CDs for the quality as others have mentioned. So, they can have a purpose while downloaded music is not offered in a lossless format. Also, they have a purpose in that they are a licensed copy that can be lent, given as a gift, resold etc., which is not as practical (or satisfying as a gift) with a file copy.

I often find that the mp3 download costs as much and more than the CD in any case (postage free!), so why wouldn't I go for a better quality version that can be resold etc. with a booklet to look at, for the same money or less?
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote