View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 09:10 AM   #30
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
The only thing M&C and Vorkosigan have in common is that they are books

M&C (to me) was a bunch of anecdotal stories whose only thing in common is some of the characters. I found it a horribly difficult read - speech paragraphs would switch characters part way through making it difficult to understand who was actually saying what. Add to that the historical "prose", the author's repeated penchant for taking three pages to obfuscate the fact that the boat veered left with a sail change, and the distinct lack of anything "actually happening" until 30 pages or so at the end of the book and it just left me stone cold. There was no destination, no storyline, no momentum, no excitement and just no incentive to try more of it as yet.
I've read the first book and enjoyed it and intend to read the rest sometime.
Jo Walton recently hosted a re-read on her blog at Tor.com.
http://www.tor.com/blogs/2010/10/not...maturin-series

I can't find the specific post but there's a group of books well into the series that she says has the best storyline and are her favorites and can be read alone if you don't want to read all 20 books.

Last edited by BenG; 12-08-2012 at 09:26 AM.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote