Thread: Classic Anyone get to try the Nook?
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2009, 02:20 PM   #43
jmaloney
Connoisseur
jmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Reader Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
I just got back from Barnes and Noble and played with the nook for about 10 minutes.

I found the eink display just as responsive as others. I don't understand the reviewers who said it was not reponsive - it was and the color lcd in fact was a little too sensitive.

I noticed it only had two fonts (I hope you will be able to add more).

The only negative I see is that they should increase the zoom level one more notch. The largest level is fine for most, but I prefer to be able to make the text larger. Hopefully firmware upgrades will add more zoom levels.

It felt good to hold and I had no problem reading Dan Browns the Lost Symbol.

I don't know how Epub or PDF will display, but I like what I've seen
I tried one today as well, and I agree with you mostly. There was definite lag on the LCD screen that I was using, but page turns and such on the eInk were fine. I had no complaints whatsoever about reading on the device. Contrary to what you said, there were three fonts on the device I was using: Amasis, Helvetica Neue, and Light Classic. There were also five font sizes. I tried out several different text sizes, and was able to read without issue on all of them (including the extra small setting).

B&N will need to improve the responsiveness of the LCD screen, IMO. Also, there was a feature described in the user manual for using a swiping gesture to turn pages that did not appear to be working on the unit I was using. Also I wondered if there were some connectivity problems in the store (or simply restrictions on the demo models), but I had a really difficult time navigating the eBook store on the demo unit. I'm not sure what the issue was, but I imagine it wasn't representative of the normal experience.
jmaloney is offline   Reply With Quote