Thread: Classic Anyone get to try the Nook?
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2009, 12:02 PM   #35
Nitrousoxide
Enthusiast
Nitrousoxide began at the beginning.

Device: None
So I went out to my local store and they had one on display. I checked it out for a few minutes and was impressed. The eink refresh rate was on par with other ebook devices, but that may be in part due to the size of the file that was open. The only "book" available to read was the user manual, which has about 10 chapters as far as I could tell, but it opened quickly and paging between pages was as quick as I could expect a device like this to be. It was somewhat faster than my sister's Sony ebook reader, and the eink display was much better than the glare ridden version that Sony put out.

For paging forward and backward, I wish the top button was forward and the bottom backward, it's more comfortable to balance it so my thumb is on the top one, and you're generally going to be paging forward rather than backward.

The back of the device gives you a good grip. I can't imagine that it will slip out of your hands on accident.

The bottom touch screen has a somewhat comvoluted menu system. I had a hard time navigating it, but I suppose you'll get used to it if you use it for a few days. It's hard to be too harsh with this after only playing with it for 5 minutes.

Overall, I'm going to keep my preorder. I waited until I got the Dec 11 ship date so I would have time to check out the store models and see the reviews. If I didn't like what I saw I still would have time to cancel the preorder. All things considered, it seemed like a product I would be happy to spend my 260 bucks on and I'm still looking forward to when it ships this Friday.
Nitrousoxide is offline   Reply With Quote