View Single Post
Old 06-24-2017, 01:02 AM   #2
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Hi mjdz! Welcome to MR!

A couple of clarifications:
Please try to reference the actual app used on the iPhone rather than saying iPhone when (I think) you mean iBooks. It saves on confusion. Unfortunately I can't speak to iBooks' capabilities (or lack thereof) because I stay as far away from it as possible. It has a lot of issues with standards compliance and requires WAY too much work to get it to look right on iBooks. I assume Calibre's reference to SVG covers was actually speaking to iBooks limitation. There are plenty of other ebook apps that work on iOS - including displaying SVG covers -to be stuck using iBooks.

Marvin also reads metadata and displays covers (SVG or otherwise) beautifully. I have several thousand books which display covers - and show metadata just fine... as long as the metadata is correctly saved to the ePub itself.

Calibre does not automatically save metadata changes that you make to the ePub file. It saves those changes to a file that it uses internally. If you want to save that metadata to the ePub you must force Calibre to do it using one of a couple easy methods.

I use the "Save to Disk" tool in Calibre most often. You can tell it the folder to save to and it does all the rest of the work. This makes a duplicate copy of the file though. If you don't want an extra copy you can use the "Polish Book" tool and make sure you select the appropriate options - like "update metadata in the book files" and "update the cover in the book files".

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote