View Single Post
Old 06-23-2017, 07:12 PM   #1
mjdz
mjdz knows what time it ismjdz knows what time it ismjdz knows what time it ismjdz knows what time it ismjdz knows what time it ismjdz knows what time it ismjdz knows what time it ismjdz knows what time it ismjdz knows what time it ismjdz knows what time it ismjdz knows what time it is

Device: Samsung Tablet, Windows PC
Marvin and Aldiko Can't Read ePub Metadata or Cover Page

On Windows 7, using the latest version of Calibre (64-bit), I have collected numerous public domain E-Books, made a few simple edits, and resaved them (using the "Convert Books" feature) in the ePub and mobi formats.

The edits included completing the Author and Title metadata fields and adding a Calibre-generated cover to each E-Book file.

I chose the No SVG Cover option during each conversion, because I was going to read some of the books on my iPhone. The Calibre Help Tips warned that with SVG, the iPhone would display the cover as a blank page.

I have successfully read these E-Books on the following applications:
  • Kybook (iPhone)
  • Moon+ Reader (Android tablet)
  • Kindle Reader (iPhone, Android, and Windows)
  • Calibre (Windows)
  • SumatraPDF (Windows)
  • Sigil (Windows)

Each of these above applications displays the cover page and the metadata created from within Calibre.

Recently, however, I tried two additional E-Book readers: Marvin (for the iPhone) and Aldiko (for Android tablet). Neither of these apps can read the E-Book metadata or display the cover page in my ePubs. I am wondering why this problem exists.
  • Does the problem have something to do with the use or non-use of the SVG Wrapper on the cover page image? I really don't understand everything about SVG wrappers.
  • Or, is it possible that Marvin and Aldiko are unable to search the E-Book to find the metadata? I noticed that in Calibre's Convert Books dialog box, under Structure Detection, there is an option to Insert Metadata as a Page at Start of Book. Is this feature necessary in order for some E-Book reader apps to work properly?

I'd appreciate your advice on how to resolve this problem.

Thanks.
mjdz is offline   Reply With Quote